Despard Gallery – An alternative boutique style venue for all special occasions
Despard Gallery is a gorgeous, intimate venue showcasing exciting contemporary art by day and opening its doors to groups looking for a smart, professional and flexible venue in the afternoon and evenings.
Easily accessible via stairs and lift, Despard Gallery opened its first-floor space in November 2016. Since that time, we have successfully hosted numerous modest scale and intimate functions that enable guests to mingle and engage with friends and family within a significant heritage space. This includes hosting some gorgeous weddings with up to one hundred and twenty guests.
The Georgian Sandstone building was designed by highly regarded colonial architect John Lee Archer in 1837. The space has had various uses over its one hundred and eighty year history, including colonial administration, post office and museum, supply and tender department and now a contemporary art gallery. Despard Gallery has been sensitively designed to retain the colonial character of the space, as well as incorporate state of the art facilities with a stylish, but simple layout. This includes adjustable lighting that enhance the artwork, but is also dimmable to control the mood of the space specific to your event. The gallery has good acoustics for live music, but also a stereo system that enables remote play from your selected device, as well as a wireless microphone for public address.
The well maintained Princess Park is located just a minutes’ walk away, with its beautiful adjacent garden the perfect post-ceremony site for your wedding photographs.
Our waterfront venue is located in the heart of historic Salamanca Place and Battery Point, and is the perfect space to host your special function, including receptions, wedding ceremonies, lectures, celebrations, book launches and fundraisers.
- Centrally located on Hobart’s waterfront, adjacent to Salamanca Place and Princess Park.
- 110 Sq meters on first floor of an historic building with new, modern renovations and wheelchair accessible facilities.
- Capacity: 120 reception, 50 seated
- Full catering kitchen, reception and service area
- Street parking
- Suitable for industry events, receptions, wedding ceremonies, lectures, celebrations, book launches, classes, fundraisers, photo and video shoots.
- Times available for rentals: Weekdays after 5pm and weekends after 4pm. Daytime bookings subject to availability
- Access to sound system with integrated wireless PA
Please contact the gallery for more information and availability.